Bewitching Brews: Coffee & Tea MagicMay 10, 2021
Coffee and tea are popular beverages, but have you ever thought of them as magical potions?
Through the process of alchemy, plain water becomes something special. By selecting your ingredients with intention, your brews become an easy form of everyday magic.
How are coffee and tea magical?
A cup of coffee or tea combines the four elements.
*Earth is represented by the coffee beans and tea leaves
*Fire is present through the heat of the brew
*Air is represented by the steam
*Water is the base of your brew
Through your intentions, spells, or rituals, you add the 5th element of Spirit.
Magically speaking, coffee can be used for grounding your energy, clearing negative energy, protection, increased energy, improving mood, as an offering to deities or your ancestors, and fast action/quick results in spell work. Grinding your own beans adds an energetic boost while giving you extra time to think about your intentions. In a pinch, instant coffee works as well.
All caffeinated teas (black, green, oolong, and white) come from the same plant, Camellia sinensis. Tea as a beverage was reportedly discovered by a Chinese emperor when the leaf of the Camellia sinensis plant blew into his boiling water. As he sipped the water, he became energized and realized the incredible power of his brew. Since 2737 BCE, we've reaped the benefits of his magical discovery.
Although green, black, oolong, and white teas all come from the same plant, the leaves are harvested at different levels of maturity with different preparations. This affects their taste and caffeine levels. Each type of tea has slightly different magical properties.
Black: Increased concentration and focus, bravery/courage, creative thinking, and prosperity
Green: Abundance, banishing negativity, love/lust, energetic cleansing, health, and healing
White: Fertility, aura cleansing, purification, psychic cleansing, and lunar magic
Oolong: Peace, self-reflection, emotional stability, love, meditation, and friendship
What about herbal teas?
Herbal teas don't come from the Camellia sinensis plant and encompass a wide variety of botanicals. As a result, most are naturally caffeine-free. A popular herbal tea is Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis) which is a naturally sweet and fruity red tea. Rooibos tea is magically used for fertility, prosperity, grounding, health, nurturing, and connecting with the divine feminine.
When creating your own herbal tea, mix different botanicals together based on the magical intention you'd like to create.
How to create a bewitching brew
To create a magical coffee, decide on a goal, manifestation, or intention that you'd like to set for the day. Keep this in mind as you're grinding the beans and while the coffee is brewing. Pour into your favorite cup, add cream or sugar as desired. If you'd like to attract or manifest something, stir your coffee clockwise while saying your spell or affirmations.
For example, if you'd like to manifest new clients for your business, then you could say something like:
Ideal clients come to me, as I will it, so mote it be. Repeat this 3 times while stirring your coffee clockwise. Your spells, intentions, or affirmations don't have to rhyme. Simply state your desired intention as if it's already occurred and believe it's possible.
If you'd like to break a pattern/habit, or release and banish something from your life, stir your coffee counter-clockwise while repeating your spell or affirmations.
To create a magical tea, blend together ingredients based on your desired result. A cup of tea generally requires 1 Tablespoon of dried herbs. When using fresh herbs, use 1-2 Tablespoons and steep 5-10 minutes until your desired strength.
Tea is delicate! If you want to brew the best cup of tea, then adding the right amount of tea plus the correct temperature of water is important. Don't worry, if you're not a tea nerd like myself, then breeze right by this section and brew as normal.
* Loose leaf tea will give you a more flavorful brew than bagged tea. Plus it allows you to customize your brew. Tea bags often contain tea dust or the most broken pieces of tea at the bottom of the barrel! Also, the bags themselves may contain toxins that you don't want to add to your brew. If possible, I recommend switching from bags to loose leaf for everyday use, and save the tea bags for travel.
* Use 1 teaspoon of loose tea for every 8-10 oz and increase the amount from there. Since most coffee and tea cups are 12-16 oz, 1-2 Tablespoons are generally used.
* Loose leaf tea can be placed in tea balls or reusable bags for a more eco-friendly and convenient experience.
* Brewing time and temperature makes a difference to the flavor of your brew. The times and temperatures given below are for steeping both loose and bagged teas.
* Black tea: 3-5 min at 205-210 F
* Green tea: 1-3 min at 160-170 F
* White tea: 1-3 min at 175-190 F
* Oolong tea: 3-5 min at 185-206 F
* Rooibos tea: 5-10 min at 205-210 F
* Herbal tea: 5-10 min at 205-210 F
Bonus witchy tips:
* If you'd like to make your beverages extra powerful, use moon water.
* You can use your coffee grounds and tea leaves for divination. Simply add 1 Tablespoon of leaves or grounds to your cup. Yes, it's going to make your beverage a little crunchy! When you've almost finished your beverage, leave about a teaspoon of liquid in the bottom of the cup, swirl it clockwise 3 times, and turn it upside down over a saucer for 1-2 minutes. Then, use your intuition to interpret any symbols you see.
April is an intuitive and transformative coach who helps you tap into your inner-witch, let go of fear, and create a magical life. Through a combination of intuition and self-discovery techniques, you'll get the support you need to find your path, balance your emotions, and feel free to truly express yourself.
Stay connected with Magical Mail!
Join our mailing list to receive bewitching news and enchanting updates.
Don't worry, your information won't be shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.